Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Eve's 3rd Pixie Themed Birthday Party


There are many things to love about being a Mom, & planning & throwing birthday parties is certainly on that list.  I have documented all of our little girl's birthday parties & I keep meaning to post them...but alas, procrastination always gets the better of me. So I might have to work in reverse.

The trickiest part of planning a party for a wee one, in my opinion, is nailing down the theme. I tried to coax her into a certain direction, I thought Rapunzel would be fun. She thought so too, for about a week. Then it was Dinosaur Train, creative but again, fleeting. She recently discovered Tinker Bell and all her little fairy friends so that was what we finally settled on. She only faltered from the plan a few times in the month leading up to the party...let's see there was a Flynn Party (from Tangled, that would have been interesting) & of course there was a major Mom fail at Party City where she was heartbroken to hear that she would not be having an Ariel party. But after a few tears (& maybe a bribe to get us back to Team Tink) all was set & we were on our way to Pixie Hollow!

It was a small affair since we don't have that many friends in California yet, but the party was a hit & it was a great group of kids & adults.

I found these super cute invites on Etsy at Double Trouble Ink


For the decorations I kept it really simple this year. I bought reusable Tink & Friends stickers, which I moved to Eve's room after the party, a few dangly sparkling things, balloons, some fresh flowers & the 'Thanks Fairy Much For Coming' sign which I made the night before with some of Eve's water colors. For the favors each little fairy got a Tink cup filled with goodies, a pink wand...& of course, fairy wings!!! They got to choose between green or hot pink wings.


Needless to say, the fairy wings were a big hit & when all the girls took to the trampoline, the effect was magical! I'm not posting a picture of them all in flight because I don't have permission from all the moms, which I totally understand.

Our little birthday fairy.


The most important part of any party is of course the cake! I make a two layer sheet cake, chocolate & white a few days in advance & coat it with a 'dirty' layer of icing. The icing isn't actually dirty but the first layer gets little flecks of cake in it, so for decorating purposes it's best to do the dirty layer first & then add more later! I wrap it in foil & stick it in the freezer until the day before the party. 


 The day before the party I take the cake out of the freezer & leave it on the counter for a few hours to let it 'breathe' out any condensation that might get in the way of the decorating. I then give the cake another layer of buttercream icing, don't worry, I never get any complaints about the amount of icing on the cake, using a long metal spatula & a warm cup of water to make the top layer super smooth. For the decorators icing I use gel food coloring as it makes the icing vibrant & so pretty. 


The tree on the cake is supposed to be a pixie dust tree but I didn't make any yellow icing & by the time it occurred to me to make a pixie dust tree I didn't have any more icing left & I was not really in the mood to make a whole other batch just for a bit of yellow...so I went with bright orange! Next I  added Tink & her friends & then loosely wrapped it in foil & stuck it in the fridge until the morning of the party.


Proud parents with the birthday girl!


We had a wonderful day, but most importantly, Eve had a wonderful day filled with magic, good friends & of course...cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment